Hi, Do you want to know the ladder safety rules? 10- important ladder safety rules have been illustrated in this blog that will assist you in safely using the ladders.
10 Important Ladder Safety Rules
A ladder is a crucial piece of equipment. This could be found with everyone either at the workplace or at home. However, using a ladder in an unsafe manner can pose a high potential risk to its users.
Ladders must be used only for access purposes. Do not use ladders as a working platform because ladders are designed only for access purposes. Instead of ladders, use scaffolding platforms or other elevated work platforms. But if only ladders are the option, then the following controls are paramount to ensure the safe use of ladders.
1. Choose The Correct Ladder
There are different types of ladders designed for different-different purposes. Each category of the ladder has a different-different load rating. Make sure that, whenever you are choosing the suitable ladder for the job, Then it is a crucial thing that you need to consider the weight of workers climbing on the ladder plus the weight of tools & materials they might have carried. Also, the length of the ladders must be considered according to job requirements.
2. Check The Condition of Ladders Before Each Use
After some time, ladders may acquire issues of stability that can lead to it being a failure while used. All ladders must be visually inspected & checked periodically by a competent person to ensure that task operatives are not using damaged ladders. Some defects are mentioned below that you must look out for;
- Paints or stickers on ladders that may hide a defect (Safety and warning labels are not included).
- Structural damage, such as split/dent, damaged rungs, side rails, steps, or braces. Apart from these, loose bolts, screws, and other hardware parts of the ladders.
- Slippery materials, such as grease, dirt, and other contaminants, can lead to slips & falls, and resulting in personal injuries.
3. Position The Ladder On A Flat And Stable Surface
To ensure the ladder stability, It must be fixed on a firm and level ground surface, and the ground surface must be able to sustain the weight of the ladder and the person using it. If the ground surface is soft, devices such as sole plats, gutter guards, anti-slips, leg levels, and stabilizers can be used.
4. Installation of Ladder in A Safe Place
Always think about the surroundings of the ladder installation area for any obstructions. Access to the ladder must be free from obstruction, and setting up the ladder should not obstruct the emergency exit also. Provide proper barriers, warning signage, and a person for assistance while setting up a ladder in a driveway or passageway.
5. Ladder Safety 3 Points of Contact
While ascending or descending the ladders, The ladder safety 3 points of contact must be maintained, and these three points of contact refer to two legs, one hand, two hands, and one leg. Complying with this safe use of ladders will protect you from injury while using the ladders.
Don’t carry any tools and materials in your hands while using an access ladder. Use a suitable tool bag or other hoist to shift the loose tools at the elevated workplace.
6. Compliance With The 1:4 Rule
An angled ratio of 1:4 must be followed while setting up the leaning ladders. The base of ladders must be 1 meter away from the structure for every height of 4 meters. This ensures that a 75-degree angle is maintained for fixing a ladder.
7. Ascending And Descending The Ladder With Cautions
Once the ladders are fixed safely & securely, then ladder safety rules must be followed to avoid injury while ascending and descending the ladder. You must be careful while using the ladders. Staying in the middle, facing the ladder, and holding the rails of the ladders must be maintained.
Use tool bags or other means of a hoist to carry your tools. Always comply with the ladder safety 3 points of contact and look for overhead powerlines and obstruction.
8. Use common Sense And Be Safe When Using A Ladder
- Keep the surrounding area of the ladder neat and clean to avoid any obstructions.
- Never use the ladder for other than it’s designed for.
- Do not wear slippery footwear.
- Ensure a firm grip on the ladder.
- Do not expose body parts outside the ladder.
- Do not engage your hands to carry the load while using a ladder.
- Do not place the ladder on the boxes, barrels, or other unstable base.
- Do not stand on the top rungs of a ladder.
- Do not move the ladder with persons or materials.
- Do not use a ladder in a horizontal position as a working platform.
9. Training on Safe Use of The Ladder
Each individual using a ladder must be trained in the safe use of a ladder. They must be aware of hazards & control measures associated with ladders usage. This is very important to avoid injury while using a ladder.
Concerned supervisors and safety officers must educate their workers about the safe usage of ladders via daily 5-minute safety talk. This will encourage the worker’s morale, and they will be eagerly interested in compliance with ladder safety rules.
10. Safe Handling And Storing of Ladder
- Use more than one person to carry a long ladder.
- Do not carry the ladder on your shoulders.
- Wear suitable hand gloves when carrying a ladder.
- Store the ladder in a designated area only.
- Maintain good arrangement of ladders in the store.
- Wooden ladders should not be stored in direct sunlight.
- Do not place the loads on the ladder.
- Do not apply the paints on the ladder as it will hide the defects.
- Do not remove the labels from the ladders.
- Damaged or defective ladders must be stored separately with “DO NOT USE” tags.
Always follow the ladder safety rules when you use the ladder. Proper selection of the ladder is crucial. Do not use a ladder in unsafe conditions, like using a ladder on an unstable base. Follow the 3 points of contact to avoid injury while using a ladder.
Workers must be trained on safe handling, storing, and using the ladder at the workplace. Ladder users must wear non-slippery footwear and suitable hand gloves.
Q1 What is Ladder?
Ans. A ladder is a crucial piece of equipment. This could be found with everyone either at the workplace or at home. This is designed for access purposes only.
Q2 What Are The Ladder Safety 3 Points of Contact?
Ans. While ascending or descending the ladders, the ladder safety 3 points of contact must be maintained, and these three points of contact refer to two legs, one hand, two hands, and one leg.
Q3 What is The 1:4 Rule For Ladder Safety?
Ans. An angled ratio of 1:4 must be followed while setting up the leaning ladders. The base of ladders must be 1 meter away from the structure for every height of 4 meters.
You May Also Like